2005 Jul 25 15:16

[vox-tech] HTTP Routing Strangeness

I finally set up a home network for my Dad, with a linux router/server connected to the SBC DSL modem and two workstations that dual boot to linux or Windows 2000/XP. One problem has been that some web sites, such as ebay.com or mail.yahoo.com, will not load on the workstations, although others (www.yahoo.com) work fine, and all these web sites work fine on the router. The problem doesn't depend on the operating system, and the command:

hal:/home/chris# wget mail.yahoo.com/index.html
--13:35:44-- http://mail.yahoo.com/index.html
=> `index.html.3'
Resolving mail.yahoo.com... 66.218.75.184
Connecting to mail.yahoo.com|66.218.75.184|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

hangs on a workstation but not the router. The router uses a simple iptables firewall, but even dropping that didn't have any effect. Also, connecting by dialup from one of the workstations causes mail.yahoo.com to load normally. Does anyone have any idea why mail.yahoo.com/index.html would work differently than www.yahoo.com/index.html behind the router?

Thanks,

Chris