2005 Jul 22 12:02

Re: [vox-tech] sshd_config and PasswordAuthentication

Re: [vox-tech] sshd_config and PasswordAuthentication

No.

The authentication is handled by SSH using the public/private keypair.
The system password itself isn't involved in the authentication at all.

It's possible to have users whose remote passwords are unknown or
disabled by this method.  This is the case for a number of remote hosts
I access regularly.

Peace.

Karsten, I apologize, I didn't realize I hadn't responded. Thanks for all the info.

I think you are talking about passwordless authentication, ie public/private keypair, where once it's setup, all I have to do is logon to boxA then can ssh to boxB without typing a password. I've done this on a number of my boxes (currently and in the past).

I didn't realize that PasswordAuthentication was related to the above. I thought you were telling me that when this is set to "no" then I still type my password, then some magic happens, and I login to the remote box but I never send my password down the line.

thanks
Jay