2005 Jul 19 21:35

Re: [vox-tech] WiFi problem

For those who might be able to help, the chipset is "Texas Instruments ACX 111". There is an open-source driver (http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php) which I've previously used successfully with a PCI wifi card on another computer (same chip, different brand card). Everything looked fine with William's card; module modprobes, led on the card lights, iwconfig can change settings, but it wouldn't communicate with nearby WAPs.

I updated to the latest kernel before installing the driver. Maybe wireless-tools needs to be updated. The only other thing is maybe I didn't get the firware setup correctly (firmware sits in a /usr/share folder and gets loaded with the module, I think).

Jonathan

P.S. William, you should save your receipt because you may need to get a different card. These problems are very typical with Linux and wireless.

William Andrew wrote:
I have a WiFi problem

I went to the installfest on July 16 and got super help from
Jonathan Stickel who got me hooked up with FedoraCore
(works great) and did the background on my WiFi card,
it's a (Texas Ins. chip) got lots of help from Chris McKenzie
as well, but the ultimate test was a WiFi hot spot and nothing.

I'm in Vacaville but would meet someone in Davis at a
WiFi location to see what can be done to make this work.

Had hoped to take this with me on Vacation in August for
the ultimate test - any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks       Wm. Andrew