2005 Jul 17 17:40

Re: [vox-tech] sshd_config and PasswordAuthentication

Re: [vox-tech] sshd_config and PasswordAuthentication

Karsten M. Self wrote:
on Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:43:52AM -0700, Henry House (hajhouse@houseag.com) wrote:

P? 2005-07-07, skrev Jay Strauss:

Hi,

I have a sveasoft box, and in order to ssh from the sveasoft to a target box, the target box must have PasswordAuthentication yes in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

I don't understand what that config option actually does. The config file has:

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!

Does this mean you can send clear text passwords to login?
Does this mean that when you build a tunnel, passwords are sent clear text to the forwarded app?

The curious can read the SSH protocols here:

http://www.snailbook.com/protocols.html

...which I've done. I've been using SSH for years, but only understand
some parts of it vaguely.

Peace.

Thanks Karsten. It's a long email it's going to take me a bit to figure out how this impacts me

Jay