2005 Jul 14 23:29

Re: [vox-tech] [getting OT] R statistics language (and Beamer)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 02:56:13PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Norm Matloff wrote:
> >
> >    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/r.html
>
> From scanning through the tutorial, it looks like R does things for
> which I use MATLAB.  What are the strengths and weaknesses of R and
> MATLAB in comparison to each other besides the price?

I've been using R extensively with Bioconductor (bioinformatics
libraries for R).  Never used MATLAB, but I work with several
statisticians and mathematicians who are experts at both, and they all
use R for any kind of statistical analysis.

And then there is the price =)

-David