2005 Jul 14 16:02

Re: [vox-tech] [getting OT] R statistics language (and Beamer)

Re: [vox-tech] [getting OT] R statistics language (and Beamer)

Mark K. Kim wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Norm Matloff wrote:

[snip]

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:31:04PM -0700, Norm Matloff wrote:

R/S+ is multiplatform (the various Unixes, Windows, Macs).

So, anyone want to do a talk on this language at LUGOD some time!? :)
Seems like this question was asked a few months ago. :-)

I might volunteer at some future time.  Meanwhile, as I said, there is
my mini-tutorial, at

  http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/r.html

Thank you for the tutorial.  From scanning through the tutorial, it looks
like R does things for which I use MATLAB.  What are the strengths and
weaknesses of R and MATLAB in comparison to each other besides the price?
=)

I honestly haven't given R a spin yet, although I've known about it for a long time. But if you are interested in a free alternative to Matlab, you should look at Octave (www.octave.org). I use it for 90% of my numerical work lately. For many simple things it is 100% matlab compatible.

Jonathan