2005 Jul 14 12:47

[vox-tech] Disturbing XP Error Message

My son runs Windows XP.   He is home for the summer.  During the school year
his laptop has been connected to the U.C. Santa Cruz dorm "Resnet" system.
At home his laptop is in his room where he has a wireless connection to the
Internet by way of a router.

Recently he has been getting this very disturbing error message when he shuts
off his computer:

"Other people are logged on this computer.  Shutting down Windows might cause
them to lose data.  Do you wish to continue?"

He says that he is not connected to any file sharing programs or computers.
I've heard that XP itself spies on its users.  Does anybody have an idea of
what's going on here?

Thank you.

Bob