2005 Jul 15 02:10

Re: [vox-tech] sshd_config and PasswordAuthentication

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:23:28AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:

> > What's wrong with PasswordAuthentication in a nutshell is, in order to
> > authenticate yourself, both you and the destination host know your
> > password.
>
> But, even if I have this set to "no", and I do an interactive login,
> then both me and the remote box need to know my password.
>
> public/private keys avoid the above issue.

True enough--although I did not realize before this thread that setting
PasswordAuthentication no still allows password authentication. Anyway,
in my quote above, s/PasswordAuthentication/password authentication/,
and it should be correct.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name