2005 Jul 12 09:18

Re: [vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

Quoting Ken Bloom (kbloom@gmail.com):

> Still won't work. after mv moves the /lib somewhere else, the ln command
> won't be able to find the libs it needs to run.

Yes, indeed.  I'm aware of that.  I was just expressing the general
principle that you would want to combine the mv and the ln when moving
_any_ important subtrees.  I already said that I _would not move_ /lib
off the root filesystem, on a number of obvious general principles; the
fact that doing so breaks SO links (presumably unless you _also_ first
update /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig) was interesting but academic.

> You might be able to get away with a statically linked copy of ln, but
> to be much safer, the way to avoid this problem is to  use the version
> of busybox (a shell with lots of basic commands built-in) which is
> statically linked, from the package busybox-static.

Thanks, but I'd _greatly_ prefer to do any maintenance on that level of
invasiveness from separate maintenance media, for lots of reasons.

> By the way, moving /lib out of the way may make a whole lot of
> difference becuase the system can't free the space from the disk anyway
> until no applications are using those libraries -- despite the fact that
> you've unlinked them, they still need to be on disk until they are no
> longer in use.

As I said, this whole thing is rather academic since moving /lib just
isn't the right solution in the first place, but surely one wouldn't be
crazy enough to attempt such things on anything but a highly quiescent
system.