2005 Jul 25 11:31

Re: [vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Jay Strauss (me@heyjay.com):

>>>I see no reason why not -- but personally I'd find some other
>>>(long-term) solution.
>>
>>Well I can tell you, it sure doesn't work on a live system.  I moved
>>/lib and afterward had no unix commands at my disposal.  Had to boot
>>with knoppix and repair my error
>

> Er, I'd assumed that, if at all, you'd have done something
> all-in-one-step so that the shell lands on a sane system, like this:
>
> # cd /
> # mv /lib /usr/cruciallibs && ln -s /usr/cruciallibs /lib
>
> ...and I'd still have kept that maintenance disk handy.  ;->

Still won't work. after mv moves the /lib somewhere else, the ln command
won't be able to find the libs it needs to run. You might be able to get
away with a statically linked copy of ln, but to be much safer, the way
to avoid this problem is to  use the version of busybox (a shell with
lots of basic commands built-in) which is statically linked, from the
package busybox-static.

By the way, moving /lib out of the way may make a whole lot of
difference becuase the system can't free the space from the disk anyway
until no applications are using those libraries -- despite the fact that
you've unlinked them, they still need to be on disk until they are no
longer in use.

--Ken Bloom