2005 Jul 02 16:44

Re: [vox-tech] Scanners

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 12:51:49PM -0700, Richard Harke wrote:
> Does anyone on this list have any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions regarding the compilation or using an RPM
(if you have specific compile-time errors you want to post, that might
be helpful), but I've got a UMAX Astra 1200S scanner that worked great
once I got a SCSI card installed.

Sadly, my SCSI card was ISA and my new PC (that $180 'Fry's special' :^) )
is a little too new and cheap to have any old-school ISA-style slots.
So, I'm going to either replace the SCSI card with a PCI one, or just
replace the entire scanner (probably for something USB), since ironically,
that might be cheaper!!!

In the meantime, for emergency purposes, you can always pay out the nose
to use the computers somewhere like Kinkos.[*] :^)

[*] My boss was at one down these parts recently, and saw some guy sitting
on one of the 45c/minute computers for literally FOUR HOURS, playing online
poker.  I hope he was winning!  DAMN!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th