2005 Jun 29 11:20

Re: [vox-tech] [fwd] backup solutions for 3 people

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Micah J. Cowan (micah@cowan.name):
>
> > I have no experience with tape either, but I thought that's what tar &
> > ar were for? AFAIK, no actual filesystem would be practical, so probably
> > a tape's content consists of nothing more than a tar file.
> >
> > Someone who actually knows something can point out any idiocy in what I
> > just said. :-)
>
> No, I think you have it exactly right:  Straight tar format would
> generally be used for such things, in part because it's relatively
> robust and a stable data format.

Assuming it was written on a Un*x-ish machine... there have been a variety
of computer operating systems and backup tools available over the
years... particularly in academic settings.  UCD used to have a lot of VMS
machines, for example.

However, tar would always be a worthwhile guess.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing