2005 Jun 28 23:19

Re: [vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Jay Strauss wrote:

hydrogen:/# du -hxs *
2.7M    bin
8.3M    boot
0       cdrom
88K     dev
6.9M    etc
1.0K    initrd
0       initrd.img
79M     lib
12K     lost+found
3.0K    media
6.0K    mnt
385M    proc
3.3M    root
3.6M    sbin
1.0K    srv
0       sys
13K     tmp
0       vmlinuz

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Jay Strauss wrote:

hydrogen:/# df -h
/dev/hda1             133M  107M   19M  86% /
tmpfs                 189M  4.0K  189M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda8              27G  1.4G   24G   6% /home
/dev/hda7             361M  8.1M  334M   3% /tmp
/dev/hda5             4.6G  821M  3.6G  19% /usr
/dev/hda6             2.8G  113M  2.6G   5% /var
fe:/home               50G   16G   32G  34% /mnt/fe/home

Off the bat a few things popped at me... first double-check the size on /proc. That seems a bit high, particularly given your second email that says the partition is not even that large. If you have a rogue process chewing up disk space, you'll want to solve that first. Second, also check the inodes available with df -i just in case this is a case of inode exhaustion instead of disk space. My final thought is to look through /lib and see if you need all the libraries you have installed as it seems to be the lion's share of the partition. My lib directory is about half the size of yours, but I tend to be minimalistic with my installations.

So those are a few things to look into. And in the process of looking at how my box was set up to compare to yours, I discovered that I messed up my fstab on the rebuild a couple months ago so now I'm off to deal with that. Accidently put "/home" for the "/usr" mount point, so now I have two partitions defined as /home mount point in fstab. That's what I get for installing machines late at night.