2005 Jun 27 11:32

Re: [vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

Will moving the contents of lib somewhere else, like /usr/mylib and soft linking /lib->/usr/mylib work as a workaround? Will my machine be able to boot correctly?

I see no reason why not -- but personally I'd find some other
(long-term) solution.
Well I can tell you, it sure doesn't work on a live system. I moved /lib and afterward had no unix commands at my disposal. Had to boot with knoppix and repair my error

You may also find the following Perl script ("largest20") useful, in
getting you some breathing room:  It finds and lists the biggest 20
files in the current directory or any subdirectory -- and can be
re-found as http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/utilities-general/largest20:

thanks for the link, I'll try it when I get home
If you can't find a way to reduce the contents of / down to comfortable
levels, I would strongly urge repartitioning your system -- since
running out of space on / is a serious problem.  Use one of the
aforementioned maintenance boot disks, then use one of the methods
detailed in "Copying Directory Trees" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Admin
to copy the contents of each filesystem to be re-created over to a
second system on your LAN.  Then, umount, use fdisk/cfdisk, mkfs.*, and
copy the contents back.
Sounds like that's what I'll have to do, and hope I don't crush my system in the process. I realize when I created the system, I didn't allocate enough space for /, thinking that most of the stuff sat in /var, /usr/, /home obviously I'll need more

Thanks
Jay