2005 Jun 27 06:07

Re: [vox-tech] I'm out of space on /

Thanks Rick, unfortunately that's not the prob. I'm not out of space on var (since var is a different filesystem)

hydrogen:/# df -h
/dev/hda1 133M 107M 19M 86% /
tmpfs 189M 4.0K 189M 1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda8 27G 1.4G 24G 6% /home
/dev/hda7 361M 8.1M 334M 3% /tmp
/dev/hda5 4.6G 821M 3.6G 19% /usr
/dev/hda6 2.8G 113M 2.6G 5% /var
fe:/home 50G 16G 32G 34% /mnt/fe/home

I'm out of space on /. and the install is trying to write to /lib

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686_2.6.8-16_i386.deb (--unpack):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (8, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686/kernel/drivers/video/console/fbcon.ko': No space left on device

Will moving the contents of lib somewhere else, like /usr/mylib and soft linking /lib->/usr/mylib work as a workaround? Will my machine be able to boot correctly?

Thanks
Jay

Rick Moen wrote:
I did a

hydrogen:/# du -hxs *

I suspect that including "x" sabotaged your intent, there, since, if
memory serves, it limits the report to subdirectories on just the one
filesystem you happen to specify, and omits all others.  So, if your
current directory at that time -- which I gather must have been the root
directory -- was on a filesystem didn't include /var, then the report
wouldn't tell you anything about that subtree.

If my guess is correct about the package cache, you might just make a
point of using one of the apt commands to clean out the cache on
occasion.  Note that some of the higher-level tools (that call apt-get)
will take care of that housekeeping for you.