2005 Jun 03 15:59

Re: [vox-tech] OT hardware router suggestions

Re: [vox-tech] OT hardware router suggestions

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Ryan wrote:

On Thursday 02 June 2005 12:43 pm, Dylan Beaudette dylan-at-iici.no-ip.org
|lugod| wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to replace my computer-based router with a smaller and
more energy efficient hardware router.
[...]
If you wanna roll your own, check out the offering at soekirs
(www.soekris.com). Nice little pentium class systems that only consume about
10 watts.
Dear Dylan,

I've been using an old 486 laptop (IBM Thinkpad 701C) as a router, and it has worked fine, and probably consumes about 10 watts. It is running Debian testing with a custom 2.6.8 kernel, which was a pain to configure. The only problem I have is that it doesn't boot automatically after a power failure. What I like about it - and have been wary of regarding hardware routers - is that I can shell into it and configure iptables and such, and generally be a control monger. :-)

Yours,

Chris