2005 Jun 20 14:44

Re: [vox-tech] OT external disk for backup

Re: [vox-tech] OT external disk for backup

I agree seagate is the best of the non scsi realm, 5 year warranty is 2 years longer than any other brand.
I picked up a 200GB SATA for $100 from tigerdirect

they've got this deal right now
300GB ATA $129 after $50 rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1388892

If you're worried about the drive being too big a 160GB is $100
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=576590&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

If price isn't too much of a concern drop by Fry's I think they have Seagate external drives at a reasonable cost.

Alex

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
One more today...

I am looking into getting an external hard disk for backing up my system (simple stuff with rsync).

From what I have heard it is possible to get a better (i.e. higher quality) setup by purchasing the drive and enclosure separately. I have found a couple nice firewire/USB2 enclosures, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on 3.5 inch hard disks. I am mainly interested in warranty, so anything over 3 years would be ideal, but of course that may not be possible anymore. Also, I would rather have a more reliable drive than more storage space- so would it make sense to purchase a smaller drive thinking that a lower data density will lead to better reliability?

any suggestions would be helpful!

--
Dylan Beaudette