2005 May 24 08:52

Re: [vox-tech] ..'xxx is not an ELF file' errors

Re: [vox-tech] ..'xxx is not an ELF file' errors

On May 23, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

The other night I was playing around with my linux/PPC powerbook, and `aptitude upgrade' failed giving errors on a gtk package. after that incident and some repeated attempts of the usual `aptitude -f upgrade' and `dpkg --configure -a' aptitude decided that it was going to remove a bunch of files: namely everything related to gtk and kde !!

Thinking that I would sit down and fix the problem tonight, i started reading up on APT on the debian pages. I was able to force a re-install of the offending packages with dpkg, and subsequent `aptitude -f upgrades' would mostly work.

However, throughout all of this i would occasionally see the message:
/usr/lib/xxxlib is not an ELF file ...

and some package would fail to be upgraded.

Also, in the process of all of this KDE crashed and seemed to have corrupted anything that had previously been downloaded in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ...

i figured this must have been due to broken libs or libs of varying vintage in use by KDE, and thus the crashes... ? maybe.

right now it is downloading the remaining 55 packages to upgrade (down from 277 earlier this evening).

I started wondering if hard disk corruption may have been the root of all of this... but the drive is rather new, and was not cheap. i did have some hard disk problems in the past with older kernels (i am running debian's 2.4.27), perhaps the kernel is to blame...?

any ideas on what might be going on here, or where to go from now?

thanks in advance!

replying to myself late at night, time to go to bed...

after manually re-installing about 30 packages until no errors were returned from apt the system *appears* to be fine... however, just for fun i tried to make a PDF from a latex file... it works without errors, but there is something terribly wrong with the fonts ... now i am beginning to think that a re-install of the entire system might be the only way to get a functioning computer back...

is there any way to have a debian system check each and every package, to see if it contains bogus files?

thanks in advance,

Dylan