2005 May 29 16:46

[vox-tech] tell gnuplot to use a single X11 window

[vox-tech] tell gnuplot to use a single X11 window

Hi everyone,

is there any good way to get gnuplot to send its output to a single window,
such that any successive plots update an existing X11 window?

i have looked over the gnuplot man page, and can't seem to find what i am
looking for.

while it is a little ridiculous, i like to keep track of my progress while
writting with this little script:

while `true`; do wc -w main.tex | awk '{print $1}' >> word_count ;\
echo "set ylab 'words'; set xlab 'minutes'; \
plot 'word_count' with lines notitle" | gnuplot -persist;\
sleep 60; done

this produces a nice little graph updated once a minute. however, gnuplot on
linux produces a new window with every plot. on OSX it is possible to keep
all output in a single window* .

* there is a bit of a difference on OSX, as an application called AquaTerm is
being used to render the output, not X11.

any ideas on how to do this with regular X11?

thanks!

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis