2005 May 20 08:53

Re: [vox-tech] grub not finding root partition

Re: [vox-tech] grub not finding root partition

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Fri 20 May 05, 11:27 AM, David Hummel <@comcast.net> said:

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:08:19AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

On Fri 20 May 05, 11:03 AM, David Hummel <@comcast.net> said:

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:45:32AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Grub seems to work for my Debian kernels:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-686 root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro initrd /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-686
savedefault
boot

But not for a home compiled kernel:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11 root=/dev/hda6 ro savedefault
boot

When I try to boot 2.6.11, the kernel can't find the root filesystem and
panics.
If the root filesystem is on /dev/hda, then the drive should be hd(0,0).
                                                                   ^^^^^^^
                                                        should be: (hd0,0)

But then how is the Debian stock kernel finding the root filesystem?  That
entry was installed by Debian.  How is it working if it points to (hd1,0)?
Good question.  Do you have a separate /boot partition?  Where is it?
This configuration indicates that its the first partition on /dev/hdb,
which seems odd, since your / is on /dev/hda6.  For instance, if your
/boot is on /dev/hda5, the root line should be (hd0,4).

-David

I really wish grub used standard device names. :(

root filesystem is on /dev/hda6
boot partition is on /dev/hdb1

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11 root=/dev/hda6 ro savedefault
boot

So I take it that "root (hd1,0)" doesn't mean "where to find root filesysetm",
but rather, "where to find the kernel".

Yes, I believe this is correct.

And I'm guessing that "root=/dev/hda6 ro" must be kernel arguments, which
would mean "root=/dev/hda6" gives the location of the root filesystem.

If this is the case, then the word "root" has two meanings in the grub
config file, which is really awful.  :(

Yes, also correct, and it causes unnecessary confusion, which is a shame.

Pete

ps- I was able to boot with 2.6.11.  The problem was that I used a Debian
kernel to form the base for a "make oldconfig".  Debian ships with ext3 as a
module since it uses initrd.  I rebuilt the kernel with ext3 bolted in, and
it boots.

Great!