2005 May 20 08:26

Re: [vox-tech] grub not finding root partition

On Fri 20 May 05, 11:03 AM, David Hummel <dhml@comcast.net> said:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:45:32AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > Grub seems to work for my Debian kernels:
> >
> >    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-686
> >    root		(hd1,0)
> >    kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro
> >    initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-686
> >    savedefault
> >    boot
> >
> > But not for a home compiled kernel:
> >
> >    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11
> >    root		(hd1,0)
> >    kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.11 root=/dev/hda6 ro
> >    savedefault
> >    boot
> >
> > When I try to boot 2.6.11, the kernel can't find the root filesystem and
> > panics.
>
> If the root filesystem is on /dev/hda, then the drive should be hd(0,0).

But then how is the Debian stock kernel finding the root filesystem?  That
entry was installed by Debian.  How is it working if it points to (hd1,0)?

Pete

--
Every theory is killed sooner or later, but if the theory has good in it,
that good is embodied and continued in the next theory. -- Albert Einstein