2005 May 20 09:16

Re: [vox-tech] grub not finding root partition

Re: [vox-tech] grub not finding root partition

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
New install.

Grub seems to work for my Debian kernels:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-686 root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro initrd /initrd.img-2.6.8-2-686
savedefault
boot

But not for a home compiled kernel:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11 root=/dev/hda6 ro savedefault
boot

When I try to boot 2.6.11, the kernel can't find the root filesystem and
panics.

I don't know grub very well -- anyone have a guess what's going on?

Here is a typical grub entry for me, if it helps:

title=linux-2.6.10-gentoo-r6_4-19-05
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-gentoo-r6_4-19-05 root=/dev/hda5

I notice you don't specify an initrd for your custom kernel. My guess is you missed specifying 'y' rather than 'm' for something important, something that's required for your root filesystem. I've done that a few times, and that's the error message I get.

Jonathan