2005 May 20 07:45

Re: [vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

Re: [vox-tech] Raid 1 - Fresh Install - Drives seem slow

I also ran: hdparm -tT /dev/hda, as described in the windows thread by Karsten, and it came in at 28 MB/s

Decent, not great.

- Does the processor speed have anything to do with I/O performance?

Not directly.  Processor speed on blocking tasks (encryption, find/sort,
compression, decompression) can, however.

- What other tests might I run to prove it's slow?

You've hit most of it.  Clarifying just what you were doing would be
helpful.

I ran across a bad disk (IIRC Maxtor) which was netting ~100 *KiB*/s
last year.  This was sufficiently slow that network operations were
notably lagged.  I confirmed speed issues w/ hdparm and swapped it out
for a faster drive for much better performance (60-80 MiB/s).
Hi (again):

I diff'ed the contents of /proc/ide of Knoppix and Sarge, and I think I may have found the problem:

jstrauss@hydrogen:~$ diff -r sarge.ide/sis knoppix.ide/sis
10,11c10,11
< UDMA Enabled UDMA Enabled
< UDMA Cycle Time 2 CLK UDMA Cycle Time 4 CLK
---
> UDMA Disabled UDMA Disabled
> UDMA Cycle Time Reserved UDMA Cycle Time Reserved

After some Googling and looking at my kernel config file, it seems that SIS support is a module, like so:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513=m

I found this link which talks about my problem

http://kerneltrap.org/comment/reply/4925/129324

Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to compile a custom kernel if I want to see if this works

Jay