2005 May 15 15:06

Re: [vox-tech] xmms shoutcast lists

On Sat, 14 May 2005, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> On Fri 13 May 05,  3:51 PM, Mark K. Kim <*****+cbreak.org> said:
> > I'm not sure if there's a bookmark functionality but you can make a
> > customized playlist (m3u or pls but I always use m3u) with a little work:
> >
> >   1. First, load the station you want, then right click on the playlist
> >      editor, and do a "Save List", and save the list as "save.m3u".
> >
> >   2. Then load your next station, and save the list as "save2.m3u".
> >
> >   3. Repeat for all stations.
> >
> >   4. Create a custom list "my_stations.m3u" that's concatenated file of
> >      all "saveN.m3u" files.  Edit with text editor as needed.
>
> Awwww, man.  That's what's commonly called a "hack."   :)   I can't believe
> there isn't a better way.  Too bad.

Yea. Sorry. That's the only way I know.

> BTW, m3u and pls are both "playlists"?

According to my xmms "playlist save" dialog box, those two files are the
recognized file types.

> > A friend of mine is a manager of streaming media at AOL, which includes
> > Shoutcast.  It's a pretty good service... I'm not sure how they keep it
> > legal but it sure helps for AOL to own Warner... =P
>
> Yeah, I kind of wonder too.  I always thought that radio stations had to pay
> a little bit of money when they play someone's song.
[snip]

Well, Shoutcast provides the means for the broadcast but I'd think the
broadcaster is still responsible for paying that money.  Most broadcasters
probably don't, though.  The record companies probably look away because
Shoutcast is run by AOL Time Warner (which probably owns more records sold
in the U.S. than any other company if you count all of its subsidiaries.)
I could see some angry record company suing Shoutcast and getting squashed
or bought out by AOL Time Warner.  Just a thought.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius