January 6: Social gathering
2005 May 11 10:12

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Bob Scofield wrote:
Here's one final question. As part of my missionary work I'm taking my SuSE CD's. But it just dawned on me that while I have set up dual boot systems several times in the past, it has always been with Windows 98. Are there any special difficulties in setting up a dual boot with XP?

From my experience, the only difference is that win98 uses FAT32 while winXP uses NTFS for filesystems. Should you need to reduce the winXP partition non-destructively (usually you do), you'll need partitioning software that handles NTFS. Also, Linux cannot (easily) write to NTFS, so you'll want to make a separate FAT32 partition for sharing files between windows and Linux.

Jonathan