2005 May 11 17:54

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

On Sunday 08 May 2005 17:47, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> I'd bring along Knoppix and try the following:

Okay, I'm practicing this stuff on my computer so that I'll be able to do it
on my sister's computer.

>   - What's the CPU speed?  /proc/cpuinfo.

When I do this with Knoppix I get "permission denied."  If I type "su" and hit
return I go back to the original prompt, and when I retry /proc/cpuinfo I get
the same error message.

>   - How much memory?       'free'
>
>   - What's hard drive performance?
>
>        hdparm /dev/hda      # show Knoppix's autoconfigured settings.
>
>        hdparm -tT /dev/hda  # test actual performance.
>
>    The critical value is the second number, buffered disk reads.  Good
>    values are in the 10 - 50+ MiB/s range.  Anything < 1 MiB/s indicates
>    a pathalogically slow drive.  I got *massive* system performance
>    boosts by swapping out a disk getting ~150 KiB/s (yes, kilobytes) for
>    one hitting 60-80 MiB/s.

I assume that your "MiB/s" is the same as MB/sec, right?  I'm getting 50.99
MB/sec on my computer.

Thank you.

Bob

PS.  It seems like Knoppix is really important for Windows machines.