2005 May 10 18:23

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on Tyan Thunder w. Opteron

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on Tyan Thunder w. Opteron

I've been building numerous dual opterons using mostly tyan and newisys
motherboards.  I've had minimal stability problems out of er 70 or so
dual opterons.

What is your goal?  Do you need the second memory bus?  If not you should
consider the Athlon 64 X2, dual cores, one socket, and it fixes #1, #2,
and at least some part of #4.

Not sure about PCI -> parallel, but I think it's pretty likely there
are firewire or usb -> parallel.

The dual opterons run linux great, one of my cluster head nodes (after an
intentional reboot):
13:46:27  up 77 days,  3:00,  5 users,  load average: 2.05, 2.01, 2.00

I would recommend a 2.6 kernel if you get a dual opteron.

Of course if you get a dual socket opteron motherboard you could by
two dual cores and have a cheap (for a quad) quad.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering