2005 May 10 21:18

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'd bring along Knoppix and try the following:
>
>   - What's the CPU speed?  /proc/cpuinfo.
>
>   - How much memory?       'free'
>
>   - What's hard drive performance?
>
>        hdparm /dev/hda      # show Knoppix's autoconfigured settings.
>
>        hdparm -tT /dev/hda  # test actual performance.
>
>    The critical value is the second number, buffered disk reads.  Good
>    values are in the 10 - 50+ MiB/s range.  Anything < 1 MiB/s indicates
>    a pathalogically slow drive.  I got *massive* system performance
>    boosts by swapping out a disk getting ~150 KiB/s (yes, kilobytes) for
>    one hitting 60-80 MiB/s.
>

> I don't know how to apply drive tuning parameters under XP, but the
> system should be using DMA at the least.

I was going to suggest this. Windows XP is ususally very good about it,
but it's always worth checking, especially because this is one of the
biggest easy performance tuneups you can make on Linux. Anyway, if you
just right click on the drive and get properties, then you should be
able to change the setting there.

--Ken Bloom