January 6: Social gathering
2005 May 09 21:48

[vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

[vox-tech] [OT] Windows Question for Relative

Here's a painful question, but I feel justified in asking it for two reasons:
(1) it's not for me, but for my sister; and (2) I'm doing some Linux
missionary work directed at her.

My sister has a relatively new (one year or so) Dell computer running XP.  It
has always run very slowly.  I've made some suggestions which have not
worked, such as running Spybot.  I think she's defragged.  I think she's
cleaned up with Norton Clean Sweep.

I'm going up to her house in Eureka next weekend and she's asked me to try to
look into the problem.  The only thing I can think of is to see if she's got
some memory resident programs that I can close down.  Other than that my
recommendation is for her to take it into a computer repair shop.

Does anyone have any other ideas of things I can look into?  Is there any
reason to think that reformatting and reinstalling would help?  (I'll take my
SuSE 9.2 CD's up there just in case.)

Thank you.

Bob