2005 May 03 23:33

Re: [vox-tech] Gnome "Failed to Init HAL" - Lost internet, cdromand usb

Re: [vox-tech] Gnome "Failed to Init HAL" - Lost internet, cdromand usb

Alex

If at some point you upgraded any of those packages via apt-get or synaptic, the downloaded rpm file might reside in /var/cache/apt/archives. Then again, maybe not because apt-get will delete them once they get uninstalled.

Otherwise it sounds like you need to recover from a self-booting linux cdrom. If you put Fedora disk 1 back in, you can run an "upgrade" which will bring you back to an original off CD install; this won't overwrite user data. Another option is to boot with Knoppix, download the rpms you need to a known place on the harddrive, reboot to partially functional Fedora, and install them.

HTH,
Jonathan

tech_dev(Alex Mandel) wrote:
So I was trying to configure a scanner and I used synaptic to install usbmgr.

This unistalled hal, gonme-volume-manager, hotplug etc. (Didn't quite realize what I was doing)

So I go to boot up the machine to work on it today and I get a "Failed to initialize HAL" with a haywire usb mouse, no ethernet and no cdrom.

How do I undo the damage, I know I need to reinstall HAL etc. but I can't access the cd or the internet to get the package.

Help,
Alex
(Making life miserable for myself)