2005 May 05 08:14

[vox-tech] Gnome "Failed to Init HAL" - Lost internet, cdrom and usb

[vox-tech] Gnome "Failed to Init HAL" - Lost internet, cdrom and usb

So I was trying to configure a scanner and I used synaptic to install usbmgr.

This unistalled hal, gonme-volume-manager, hotplug etc. (Didn't quite realize what I was doing)

So I go to boot up the machine to work on it today and I get a "Failed to initialize HAL" with a haywire usb mouse, no ethernet and no cdrom.

How do I undo the damage, I know I need to reinstall HAL etc. but I can't access the cd or the internet to get the package.

Help,
Alex
(Making life miserable for myself)