2005 Apr 21 08:32

Re: [vox-tech] KDE footprint on lower end machines.

Re: [vox-tech] KDE footprint on lower end machines.

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

I'm curious about the lowest powered machine that can handle KDE.

Is there anyone running KDE on a PII or lower? If so, can you announce your
CPU, memory and send a copy of one xterm worth of top output so I can see
cpu and memory usage?

Thanks,
Pete

I'm running KDE on top of Debian on a PII 350 MHZ Dimensions XPS with 384MB memory. I'm new to Linux and have legacy projects requiring SigmaPlot so I also run W2K in VMware 4.5 (they say it can't, but it's doin' it), usually with noatun playing some tunes. The VMW2k has 128MB memory relegated to it and is a bit sluggish with StarOffice and SigmaPlot fired up: but this is most apparent when accessing shared host folders.

If you walk me through the commands to give you the output you requested I'd be willing to do so.
Cheers!

--
Donald Greg "DiG" McGahan
University of California Davis
One Shields Ave (LAWR)
Davis, California 95616
Soil and Biogeochemistry
2149 Plant and Environmental Sciences Building
Laboratory Phone 1-530-752-0144
Mobile:530-219-6183
email: soilman@ucdavis.edu or dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
MSN Messenger: dgmcgahan@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
AIM: dgmcgahan
ICQ: 55404391
Wisdom "the trait of utilizing knowledge and experience with common sense and insight"
Ped-O-quote
"The lithosphere is the easel, the pedosphere the canvas, and the biosphere the painting on the canvas." (Gleason and Cronquist 1964)

begin:vcard
fn:Donald Greg McGahan
n:McGahan;Donald Greg
org:University of California Davis;Soils and Biogeochemistry
adr:Plant and Enviromental Sciences Building;;One Shields Avenue;Davis;California;95616;United States of America
email;internet:dgmcgahan@yahoo.com
tel;work:530-752-2205
tel;fax:530-752-1552
tel;cell:530-219-6683