January 6: Social gathering
2005 Apr 21 08:32

Re: [vox-tech] Connecting to port 1433 via 22 on an intermediary

Richard Crawford wrote:
> I'm new to port forwarding, and I thought I had it down.  Apparently I haven't
> got it quite yet.
>
> Now that I can use my Linux box at work to connect to our MS SQL Server
> database using dbbrowser, I'm trying to figure out how to get to that server
> from home over port 22 via an intermediary host.  Graphically, the setup
> looks like this:
>

> ME <---port 22---> Linux Server (FC2) <--- 1433 ---> SQL Server (WinNT)
>

> I had administrative privileges on the Linux server in the middle, and SSH
> access to it from home.  1433 is insecure and requires no authentication, but
> the database needs a login (I have those credentials available to me as
> well).  That's fine.  I've used the FC2 computer to connect to port 139 on a
> Solaris computer so that I can mount a remote Samba share on my home computer
> via SSH, but I can't suss out how to do it this time.
>
> Any hints?

With a host in CSIF, and a goal of reaching google, I did the following:
$ ssh -L 10000:www.google.com:80 pc10
$ links localhost:10000
and I reached google in Links.

I think you can figure out how to change the port numbers to make this
work. The key is that you don't connect to port 22 when tunnelling. You
connect to a different port on your end (which you have configured) and
it wraps it into the ssh connection and sends it to Linux Server.