2005 Apr 08 14:54

Re: [vox-tech] Compile Question

On Fri 08 Apr 05,  1:45 PM, Bob Scofield said:
> On Friday 08 April 2005 12:20, Henry House wrote:
> > På fredag, 08 april 2005, skrev Bob Scofield:
>

> > Do you have the appropriate KDE development packages installed? You
> > probably already know this, but it can't hurt to point out just in case
> > that you need additional stuff (header files and static libraries) beyond
> > the packages needed to run KDE if you want to compile software that depends
> > on KDE.
>
> Okay, I didn't have the KDE development packages.  I discovered this the
> cheesy way.  I went to Debian, found the packages, and then used apt-get to
> get them.  Since they installed, I knew I hadn't had them.  (It's cheesy
> because you don't have to look around your system for them.)
>
> These packages eliminated the prefix problem.  But I ran into another error
> telling me I didn't have libkipi.  So I downloaded libkipi and compiled it.
> That was the first thing I've compiled in my life, believe it or not.
>
>  With libkipi, I was finally able to compile the kipi-plugins with one
> exception.  There was one I couldn't compile because, according to the error
> message, I didn't have lighoto2.  I actually do have that installed, but was
> really only interested in the plugin that allows me to e-mail pictures from
> Digikam.  Therefore, I have been as successful as I set out to be.
>
> The compiling took a long time.  The program comes already compiled on SuSE.
> Debian seems to be a distro for people with time on their hands.  But I have
> to admit I've learned more using Debian than I have using Red Hat, Mandrake
> or SuSE.  But it sure is nice to be able to install stuff with apt.

Hi Bob,

Gentoo is the distro for people with time on their hands.   ;-)  j/k.

On Debian, suppose you discover that you need libkipi in order to compile
something (like you did).  You would do:

   p@satan$ apt-cache search libkipi
   libkipi0 - library for apps that want to use kipi-plugins (runtime version)
   libkipi0-dev - library for apps that want to use kipi-plugins (development
      version)

This tells you that you need to:

   aptitude install libkipi0-dev

I've found that Debian is for people with time on their hands *to learn*.
But once you learn, it's often faster than anything else around.

Pete