January 6: Social gathering
2005 Apr 08 01:03

Re: [vox-tech] Re: Forwarding SMB through SSH - RESOLVED

Re: [vox-tech] Re: Forwarding SMB through SSH - RESOLVED

Troy Arnold wrote:
BTW, this is my preferred solution:
/etc/fstab:
\\dubhe\pub  /pub  smbfs  credentials=/etc/samba/smb.dubhe.pub,uid=troy,gid=troy

where /etc/samba/smb.dubhe.pub looks like:
user=smbusername
password=seKret

This has the added advantage that the credential file does not have to
be readable by anyone other than root.

OK, I like this and it works for me. But can someone explain why umask, dmask, and fmask options don't work with smbfs?

Thanks,
Jonathan