2005 Apr 08 01:03

[vox-tech] GUI for Camera on Sarge?

I had some questions arising out of my effort to set Sarge up like SuSE, which
allows me to drag and drop pictures from a digital camera to my hard drive.
On SuSE I just go to the My Computer icon, and click on an icon for a USB
disk.  This all happens in the Konqueror web browser.

A few weeks ago Bill gave Pete directions on how to set up the My Computer
icon on KDE.  I've followed those directions, but have been unsuccessful in
getting an icon that will give me a GUI access to the camera.

The first problems I encountered were permissions problems; e.g. "Only root
can mount /dev/sda1 on /media/camera."  I still haven't solved these
problems.  It's confusing because /dev/sda1 seems to have the same
permissions on SuSE and Debian.  But I have become interested in the
following issue.

One error message is something like "/dev/sda1 is not found in fstab or mtab."
In SuSE the following entry automatically appears in mtab any time that the
camera is plugged into the usb port:
"/dev/sda1 /media/usb-0039731344:0:0:0p1 subfs rw,no
exec,nodev,sync,procuid,iocharset=utf8   0   0."  In my cheesy way, I began
putting variations of this entry into my Sarge fstab.  I got different error
messages, but became interested in the one that said that the Sarge kernel
had no support for subfs.

After Googling, I came across this website:  http://submount.sourceforge.net/

I am starting to think that SuSE is automatically mounting the usb port when
the camera is attached because of "Submount."  The web site claims that Sarge
is one of the distros that has a binary form of Submount available.  But I
can't find such a package on the Debian website.  So here are my questions:

1)  Do people agree that it's Submount that is allowing SuSE to automatically
mount the usb port when the camera is plugged into the computer?

2)  Does anybody know if Sarge has a Submount package that can be gotten with
apt-get?

3)  Is anybody dragging and dropping camera photos from the camera to the
computer on Debian?  If so, how do you set this up?

I may be back later for the permissions issues.

Thanks.

Bob