2005 Apr 07 13:12

Re: [vox-tech] Re: Forwarding SMB through SSH - RESOLVED

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 05:15:34PM -0400, Aaron A. King wrote:
> Glad this was resolved, but while we're on the subject, I have a question
> that's been bothering me for a bit.  You can mount an SMB filesystem using
> 'mount -t smbfs', but I can't seem to get the same functionality using fstab.
> So if I do
>
> $ sudo mount -t smbfs -o
> ip="xxx.xx.xx.xxx",username="XXXX",password="xxxxxx" //EEB1/EEBWeb /mnt/eeb
>
> it works fine.  But if I put the following line in /etc/fstab:
>
> //EEB1/EEBWeb /mnt/eeb smbfs
> ip=xxx.xx.xx.xxx,username="XXXX",password="xxxxxx",user,noauto 0 0
>
> then do
>
> $ mount /mnt/eeb
>
> I just get an error
>
> 11927: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> SMB connection failed
>
> Does anyone know how to make mount and fstab play with SMB?

I believe your problem stems from the quotes surrounding your username
and password.  If your user/pass does not include any characters
that need to be quoted then you can get away with:
//EEB1/EEBWeb /mnt/eeb smbfs ip=xxx.xx.xx.xxx,username=XXXX,password=xxxxxx,user,noauto 0 0

BTW, this is my preferred solution:
/etc/fstab:
\\dubhe\pub  /pub  smbfs  credentials=/etc/samba/smb.dubhe.pub,uid=troy,gid=troy

where /etc/samba/smb.dubhe.pub looks like:
user=smbusername
password=seKret

This has the added advantage that the credential file does not have to
be readable by anyone other than root.

-troy