2005 Apr 06 14:15

Re: [vox-tech] Forwarding SMB through SSH - RESOLVED

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 08:10, Richard Crawford wrote:
> On my Solaris server at work, I'm running Samba and sharing the web
> directory over it so that it can be viewed by the Windows computers at
> work.  I'd like to be able to access this share via SSH on my Linux
> computer at home; is this possible?  I've enabled port forwarding in the
> /etc/sshd.conf file on the Solaris machine, and port 22 is the only port I
> allow through the firewall to that server (and even though, port 22 is only
> accessible from my home IP address).

Got it!  Here's the solution, for folks who might be looking for something
like this from Google:

as root:

# ssh -f -N -L 9990:localhost:139 username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx's password:

Then, also as root:

# mount -t smbfs -o
username=username,port=9990 //localhost/<share> /path/to/mountpoint

A few minor issues of file ownership remain, but I think I can work those out
pretty easily.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com