January 6: Social gathering
2005 Apr 04 11:43

Re: [vox-tech] Self-replacing license [was Urgent news: Linux maybe relicensed]

Re: [vox-tech] Self-replacing license [was Urgent news: Linux maybe relicensed]

Rick Moen wrote:
Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net):

What I THINK Micah is saying... or, at least, the concern >I< can think of
having, as a developer of GPL software, is if I create something under
GPL 2 with the "or later" clause, get dozens of contributions by others,
and then GPL 3 comes out and I don't like it, I would imagine that I'd
have to ask all of the other contributors[*] for permission to strike
the "or later" clause in any subsequent releases/updates.
Yup, that's what I'm saying.

1.  Even aside from the broad rights one would have as the developer of
a collective work, you could just drop the "or later" clause as to your
portion of the code.
But only to your own.

2.  But as the Licensing HOWTO points out, the common assumption that
such a developer must secure everyone else's permission as a matter of
law (as opposed to courtesy and tradition) is incorrect.
Again, I feel the HOWTO (rather, DRAFT HOWTO) is wrong. The text of the actual law they specifically cite is rather explicit that you receive only rights over your own contribution to the work, in the absense of any explicit assignments. I'm not sure how they read whatever they read into it, and if it's case law, then I'd like to see some references to decisions to that effect.

Obviously, she's a lawyer, and I'm not: but I would like a little more backup than "because I say so."

-Micah