2005 Apr 04 11:04

Re: [vox-tech] Self-replacing license [was Urgent news: Linux maybe relicensed]

Re: [vox-tech] Self-replacing license [was Urgent news: Linux maybe relicensed]

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net):

> What I THINK Micah is saying... or, at least, the concern >I< can think of
> having, as a developer of GPL software, is if I create something under
> GPL 2 with the "or later" clause, get dozens of contributions by others,
> and then GPL 3 comes out and I don't like it, I would imagine that I'd
> have to ask all of the other contributors[*] for permission to strike
> the "or later" clause in any subsequent releases/updates.

1.  Even aside from the broad rights one would have as the developer of
a collective work, you could just drop the "or later" clause as to your
portion of the code.

2.  But as the Licensing HOWTO points out, the common assumption that
such a developer must secure everyone else's permission as a matter of
law (as opposed to courtesy and tradition) is incorrect.

> Sorry to just jump in like that.

Not a problem!