January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 24 16:07

Slackware: Custom script on ifup? (Was: Re: [vox-tech] notebookwireless refinement question)

Slackware: Custom script on ifup? (Was: Re: [vox-tech] notebookwireless refinement question)

On Saturday 19 March 2005 09:03 pm, Donald Greg McGahan
dgmcgahan-at-yahoo.com |lugod| wrote:
> New to Linux so pardon if this is not not clearly asked......but here
> goes....
> I have Slackware running on a Toshiba notebook.
> It has a miniPCI wireless card.
> I've figured out how to connect to my home wireless router by running a
> script
>
> #!/bin/bash
> iwconfig eth1 essid name key [1] XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
> dhcpcd eth1
>
> Now when I turn on the notebook at home I'd like to have the start up
> recognize the essid name and run this script and just connect or is
> there a better way such as the rc.wireless.conf? Seems like I should be
> able to look for this essid first then if it does not exist go to say
> Moobilenet then look for an unsecured access point.

Most distros are able to run a script when an interface is brought up. I'm
not familiar with slackware, but I know it can be done in debian. Each distro
tends to handle network initialization in a diffrent way, so you'll need to
talk to a slackware person. I have changed he subject to get someone who
knows how to do this to respond ;)

--
Ryan Castellucci - http://ryanc.org/