2005 Mar 24 16:07

[vox-tech] PHP fopen() bug

I spent about 4 hours of my life yesterday tearing my hair
out over this.  Built an Ubuntu (warty) system for a client
to run some PHP and Perl applications, ran into a problem,
and tracked it down to the simple fact that

  $fh = fopen('/tmp/test', 'w');

always fails with a "no such file or directory" error.  It
doesn't seem to matter what the path is.

What DOES work is:

  touch('/tmp/test');
  $fh = fopen('/tmp/test', 'w');

Has anyone heard of such a thing?  How can such a basic
problem exist in a distribution that's been out for almost
six months?  Yes, I have all the latest updates.

-- Rod