2005 Mar 19 12:37

Re: [vox-tech] xhost+: Why you should NEVER DO THAT

Re: [vox-tech] xhost+: Why you should NEVER DO THAT

Quoting Richard Harke (rharke@earthlink.net):

> Thanks for the explanations, I have learned a lot.
> I guess I should have posted the problem here in the first place.

It's been a good discussion, in part because it's been wide-ranging.
;->

Just so your actual problem doesn't get lost, what I think I would do in
your shoes is:

1. (indeed:)  $ sudo apt-get --purge remove mozilla-firefox [1]
(Terminate that sucka' with extreme prejudice.  It'll feel good.)

2.  $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

3.  $ sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox

That is, I'd guess that someone screwed up very badly, constructing that
package -- as Karsten was suggesting -- and that the thing to do is get
a newer package.

You probably don't need to purge the old one, but ritual exorcisms have
their uses.  ;->  (More seriously, sometimes getting rid of aberrant
configuration files _is_ the key.)

[1] Yes, you could indeed use aptitude's command-line mode, instead.
Force of habit.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                    Frater Magnus vos spectat.