2005 Mar 18 09:15

Re: [vox-tech] Exporting displays

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

>     http://www.campus-technology.com/news_issue.asp?id=153&IssueDate=9/18/2003
>
>     So for those who may need a reality check, let me be blunt: the
>     "intranet" is dead. The inside of your institutional firewall is
>     just like the outside of your institutional firewall: it is all
>     ablaze.

We _always_ knew that people relying on perimeter protection were deluded.
But, as usual, the business world wanted a standard excuse to not deal
with security properly, so they invented the myth of the Holy Firewall
That Will Protect Us from All Harm.  Most IT departments bought into
that delusion, and have been paying for it, ever since.

Even at $PRIOR-PRIOR-FIRM, where we _did_ have a properly designed,
layered network, as head sysadmin I was under _enormous_ pressure from
the more mouth-breathing members of the executive staff to set up "VPNs"
-- by which, upon further questioning, they meant PPTP access from their
scarily infested home LANs directly into their workstations in the most
vulnerable part of my corporate network.  I said no -- via feasibility
studies that outlined the risks in great detail and bluntly stated that
management would have to sign off about them.