2005 Mar 17 15:39

Re: [vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

Re: [vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

Quoting Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net):

> Debian's installation process is difficult and requires intimate
> knowledge of how linux works.

Which of the couple of dozen installers for Debian are you referring to?
Please see:  "Installers" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian

> In order to have an up-to-date system, you risk instability (with the
> testing or unstable tree), or must resort to 3rd party "backports".

Debian-testing in my experience, has proven much more stable over the
years than, say, Mandrakelinux, Fedora, or (in its day) Red Hat 7.x-9.
Perhaps you can describe the ways in which your experience has differed.

> Just my view.  Maybe I've never given it a fair chance since every
> install I've tried has failed.

Wait, now I'm confused.  Was the experience that your claim about
"risk[ing] instability" was based on gained using machines that _other_
people installed, then?  Or were you speaking from zero experience?