2005 Mar 17 23:19

[vox-tech] stale NFS file (was: binary equivalence of twodirectories)

On Thu 17 Mar 05,  8:26 AM, p <p> said:
> On Wed 16 Mar 05, 10:42 PM, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> said:
> > On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:26 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > What's the quick and dirty way of using md5sum or sha1sum to check the
> > > equivalence of the files residing in two directories?  I suppose I can whip
> > > up a Perl script to traverse the directories, but I'm wondering if there's a
> > > short one liner (or perhaps an already written utility) to do this.
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > $ diff -r dir1 dir2
> >
> > -- Rod
>
> I totally spaced that diff recurses.   How embarrasing!   :)
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Another question (with my tail between my legs).

When I do this, I get many "Stale NFS file handle" messaages:

   $ diff -r project2/ /dvd/
   diff: project2/Getting Started with Corel Painter 8/data/movies/chap05: Stale NFS file handle
   diff: project2/Getting Started with Corel Painter 8/data/movies/chap06: Stale NFS file handle
   diff: project2/Intermediate Flash MX 2004/CD 1/Xtras: Stale NFS file handle
   diff: project2/Intermediate Flash MX 2004/CD 2: Stale NFS file handle
   diff: project2/Intermediate Flash MX 2004/readme.txt: Stale NFS file handle
   diff: project2/Learning Access 2003/PC Exercise: Stale NFS file handle
   diff: project2/Learning Access 2003/readme.txt: Stale NFS file handle

The DVD in question is on satan.  The directory

   /E/documentation/Videos/Lynda.com/project2/

is on lucifer, but NFS mounted onto satan.  All in all, the dvd has about
4.1 GB on it, so the amount of data is non-trivial.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks,
Pete