2005 Mar 15 17:20

Re: [vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

on Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:31:35AM -0800, Bob Scofield (rscofield@afes.com) wrote:
> On Sunday 13 March 2005 09:34 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:47:06PM -0600, Jay Strauss (me@heyjay.com) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > since wajig was mentioned in the apt-get thread, thought I'd ask.
> > >
> > > What kind of GUI configuration/administration tools are available for
> > > Debian , something like YAST
> >
> > bash ;-)
> >

> > Seriously:  there's a lot of webmin modules available, but strewth,
> > Debian emphasizes commandline tools.
>
> I've just been wondering about Jay's question for the last two days.  For the
> heck of it, I just typed "aptitude install webmin" to see what would happen.
> I was told that apache would be installed.  I'm just a desktop user with no
> need for apache.

Webservers can be useful.  Another package you can look into is dwww,
which provides web-based access to documentation, including manpages,
info, and package-specific docs, in your Debian system.  Add swish++ to
that and you've got a pretty slick "desktop search" capability.  I
typically load up a system with GNU/Linux Gazette subscriptions, RFCs,
and other docs.  Surprisingly useful.

The distinction between "desktop" and "server" is about 99.27%
artificial.

Peace.

    Bleh!
     - #debian-bleh