2005 Mar 15 14:35

Re: [vox-tech] YAST equivalent on Debian?

On Sunday 13 March 2005 09:34 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:47:06PM -0600, Jay Strauss (me@heyjay.com) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since wajig was mentioned in the apt-get thread, thought I'd ask.
> >
> > What kind of GUI configuration/administration tools are available for
> > Debian , something like YAST
>
> bash ;-)
>

> Seriously:  there's a lot of webmin modules available, but strewth,
> Debian emphasizes commandline tools.

I've just been wondering about Jay's question for the last two days.  For the
heck of it, I just typed "aptitude install webmin" to see what would happen.
I was told that apache would be installed.  I'm just a desktop user with no
need for apache.

Is webmin really very much like YAST?  Is it worth getting?

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the use of Debian for newbies and
bewbies.  Bill's directions to Pete on how to set up "My Computer" on KDE
takes care of one thing.  Something like YAST would take care of another.
And something that partitioned as easily as YAST and Mandrake would be still
another.

Of course I do not expect much sympathy from Debian users for this type of
computing.  But after Ken's answer to my question about apt upgrading to new
versions of open source applications (eventually to Open Office 2.0, for
example) I marvel at what Debian is up to.  It is clearly economically
suicidal for commercial distros to have apt.  While Debian is considered
geekware, it has tremendous potential to the non-technically inclined.

Bob