2005 Mar 13 20:22

Re: [vox-tech] Apt-get vs. Dselect

on Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 12:54:55PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> On Fri 11 Mar 05,  9:44 AM, Mark K. Kim <lugod@cbreak.org> said:
> > `dselect` is a TUI front-end to `apt-get`.
> >
> > Rick Moen recommends using `aptitude` instead of `dselect` but I just
> > can't get used to the interface.
>
> That's because you're not using it the right way.  :-)  Try doing whatever
> you normally do with apt-get, but do "s/apt-get/aptitude/g".  In other
> words:
>
>    aptitude update
>    aptitude install wonderpackage
>    aptitude remove --purge badpackage
>    aptitude dist-upgrade
>    etc.

Mind bug# 299009:

    http://bugs.debian.org/299009

Aptitude gives different results run interactively and noninteractively.
You may find yourself reinstalling packages, or having installed
packages removed, if you switch between modes.

I _do_ find aptitude has distinct advantages over apt-get, but this is
pretty fugly.

Peace.

   I guess "the El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles del Rio
   de Porciuncula diet" just doesn't have the same ring....