2005 Mar 13 01:06

Re: [vox-tech] Persistant hardware problem kicking my butt

Re: [vox-tech] Persistant hardware problem kicking my butt

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Karsten M. Self wrote:

If you have the option of testing RAM/DVDR on another system, do it.  If
they're cle

Also, double-check the settings for the RAM in BIOS. I had a package of Corsair TwinX RAM that were highly unstable at their default settings. I did manage to tweak the BIOS settings to something stable on the first system they were installed in. Of course, can't find that sheet of notes with the stable settings now, so since I've moved them to a new system, I've had intermittent segfaults. Memtest86 actually runs for hours without error on the new system (had many errors at default settings on the old system), which makes it that much more of a pain to remember exactly how I tweaked the settings. Lesson learned from this: organize my notes better, heh. Second lesson is that memtest86 does not show all memory errors, particularly those rare bit flips and such. So don't take clean output from memtest86 as an indication the RAM and its associated buses and so on are okay.

As Karsten said, test the RAM in another machine and see if you can replicate some of the problems. Like I know my problem is the RAM because it's had the same issues on two different systems now. Or if you don't have another system available, find someone who does has the same sort of RAM and do a RAM swap. I did that several years back when I had another set of bad RAM. Swapped with my dad's machine and then my machine was stable and his was crashing.